The Standard Ketogenic diet
The Standard Ketogenic diet or “Keto Diet” is a perfect mix of low-carb, high-fat and moderate-protein diet which comes with tons of health benefits. Various medical studies have confirmed that a Standard Keto diet can help you big time in your weight loss goals, along with other health issues like Diabetes, Cancer, Epilepsy and Alzheimer disease. While a lot has been said, let’s take a deep insight into the overall concept of Standard Ketogenic diet.
What is a Standard ketogenic Diet?
You may call it another low-carb or Atkins diet but a Standard Ketogenic diet comes along with its own unique elements. The person needs to considerably cut the carb intake during the diet and got to replace it with fat instead. This sudden reduction in the carb intake would then put your body into a metabolic state, generally known as “Ketosis”. A Standard Keto diet contains 75%fat, 20% Protein and 5% carbs.
Once this happens, the human body uses the fat content for its energy requirements which ultimately leads to the fat burning process. The fat turns into Ketones in the liver which then supplies the required energy to the brain for its proper functioning. All of the Standard ketogenic diets are known for pushing a significant reduction in blood sugar and insulin levels.
Health benefits of a Standard Ketogenic diet
Ketogenic diet and weight loss
A Standard Ketogenic diet is now being used as one of the most effective methods to lose weight across every part of the globe. In fact, the diet is so effective that you don’t really need to keep a track of your calories intake during your weight loss regime. Various studies have confirmed that people on Ketogenic diets are tend to lose 2x more weight as compared to other low calorie diet plans. Also, the Triglyceride and HDL cholesterol levels in body have shown drastic improvements in the process, whilst being of diet. Let’s take a look at several studies in the same context:
– A team of medical experts in USA found that a standard Keto diet helps you lose twice the weight which is lost during other diet plans.
– Another study in the same aspect confirms that Ketogenic diet includes high protein intake, which then makes it better than other low-fat diet plans.
– The Blood sugar levels and insulin levels gets lowered whilst increasing the number of ketones in the liver
– High Protein intake during the Ketogenic diet comes with some additional health benefits
Ketogenic diet vs Diabetes
Diabetes is a medical condition which brings along higher blood sugar levels and impaired insulin functioning in the human body. Even the metabolism process sin the body gets affected by a great extent. This is where a standard Ketogenic diet can prove effective in many ways.
– The Ketogenic diet can easily make you lose that excess fat around your body, which is largely connected to type 2 diabetes, pre-diabetes and metabolic syndrome
– An expert study has found that Ketogenic diet can improve the insulin sensitivity in the human body by almost 75%.
– There has been another study which found that amongst the 21 people in the study with type 2 diabetes, 7 have stopped taking any type of Diabetes medication, after going with Keto diet
– In another study, the group of people under Keto diet lost 2x weight than the people under the high- carb diet
– Almost 95% of the total people in the group have left the intake of any type of diabetic medication, as compared to 62% on higher carb diets
Ketogenic diet and its additional health benefits
– Cancer : Ketogenic diet has proved effective in many people with cancer and slow tumor growth
– Heart disease: Whilst lowering down the Blood pressure, blood sugar levsl and HDL cholesterol levels, ketogenic diet got its own significance in treatment of various heart diseases.
– Alzheimer: The Ketogenic diet is known to slower the symptoms and progression of the Alzheimer disease
– Epilepsy: A massive decline in seizures in children with epilepsy has been found in many researches with the help of Ketogenic diet
– Parkinson disease: The symptoms to the Parkinson disease can be minimized with the help of Ketogenic diet
– Various Brain Injuries: There have been certain studies and research on animals which has shown that a Ketogenic diet can significantly help in the recovery process after a certain brain injury.
As we now have a brief understanding of ‘How a standard Ketogenic diet brings along numerous health benefits’, let’s have a look at all the Dos and don’ts within this diet regime.
Food items allowed in a standard Ketogenic diet (The Do’s)
– Meat: All type of meat like steak, red meat, sausage, ham, chicken, turkey and beacon
– Fish: All the fishes which are high on fats like Salmon, trout, mackerel and tuna
– Eggs: Only Omega-3 whole eggs or pastured eggs are preferred.
– Dairy items: Only grass –fed dairy items like Butter, cream, cheese and milk
– Nuts and seeds: Almost all type of nuts and seeds like almonds, walnuts, chia seeds and pumpkin seeds are allowed
– Oils: Only Healthy oils like Olive oil, Avocado oil and coconut oil is permissible
– Veggies (low carb): All the green veggies along with tomatoes, peppers, onions, cucumbers
Food items which are not allowed in a standard Ketogenic diet (The Don’ts)
– High-on-Sugar foods: Ice cream, soda, smoothies, cakes, pastries and dough nuts
– All types of grains: Wheat, rice and any other cereal
– Fruits: All types of fruits are prohibited in a ketogenic diet except smaller portion of certain berries.
– Root veggies: Potatoes, carrots, radish, sweet potatoes
– Beans and lentils: Red kidney beans, peas, legumes, chickpeas
– Unhealthy fats: all types of saturated oils and processed vegetables oils, mayonnaise
– Alcohol: Most of the alcohol beverages got high-carb content so they are a big no in Ketogenic diet
– Processed foods: All types of processed foods, even it is deemed healthy by the manufacturers, is strictly prohibited in a ketogenic diet.