What is an Atkins Diet Plan?
The Atkins diet plan gained grounds as a proposition from American cardiologist Dr. Robert Atkins, from been a school of thought it has evolved over the years (about 40years) to become a practical guide for weight loss.He proposes eating fats and proteins but avoiding food high in carbohydrate. His proposition was based on previous works of others, he just built on it so well that it attracted a lot of patronage.
Atkins diet is simply a system of weight loss that requires you to eat food that contain high contents of fats and proteins, while you avoid food with high-carb (carb stands for carbohydrate). Contrary to the school of thought that excess fat is dangerous to the health, this diet plan along other studies have proved that school of thought wrong. After following this diet plan practically, it was conclusively inferred that the persons involved lost weight, and had better blood sugar levels. Although health markers were quite subjective for some users, some had a “good” HDL cholesterol while a very few had their “bad” LDL cholesterol raised.
The “good” HDL cholesterol are jargons, it simply means High Density Lipoproteins Cholesterol which has a detoxifying effect in your blood stream. The contrary “bad” LDL simply means Low Density Lipoprotein which is a toxic occurrence, cholesterol builds up in the blood stream and soon block blood passages.
The Atkins diet plan works such that because of your concentration on low-carb diet, you have a less active appetite naturally without been intentionally hard on yourself. The body begins to burn fat (as a source if energy) by default because of the absence of glucose (from carbohydrate) which is the first contact of energy for the body. Call to remembrance this fact that for the body metabolism to run energy must be used, if the carbohydrate components are not available the fat molecules are the next source of energy.
List of Atkins Diet Meal Plans
|Atkins Diet Meal Plans||Go to Plan|
|Atkins Diet Meal Plan for Women|
|Atkins Ketogenic Diet Meal Plan|
|Atkins Diet Meal Plan Phase 1|
|1200 Calorie Atkins Diet Meal Plan|
|Kardashian Way Atkins Diet Meal Plan|
See full list of Atkins Diet Grocery List
Phases of Atkins Diet
Atkins diet runs in phases, these phases are structures to ensure your smooth transition into the dieting. The phases run such that you are consciously aware that you have a goal and easily fit in without feeling you are been hard on yourself. Let’s take a rundown on the phases
- Phase 1: This is a mild introduction into your dieting plan, you are obligated to take below 20grams of carb per day for 2 weeks, while eating within the confines of what the Atkins diet finds suitable.
- Phase 2: This phase does some justice to striking a balance, while sustaining your low carb diet it allows you to add little quantity of fruit to your diet.
- Phase 3: It is not considered a crime to add more carb to your diet in this phase, it achieves a fine-tuning because of observed weigh loss, so you keep fit and be in good shape.
- Phase 4: This phase allows you to take in as much healthy carb as your body can take without adding weight. The phase is that point where you have set standards to keep fit for a life time.
These phases are a little subjective to individual, if you start taking as much carb as your body can take (phase 4) and at the slightest add weight kindly stick to a phase that works for you and sustains/maintains your progress on weight loss/keeping fit.
Foods to Avoid
Remember you have got a weight loss goal! So avoid these foods on the Atkins diet
- Sugar: Fruit juice, soft drinks/carbonated drinks, cakes, candy, honey, ice-cream, bread, etc.
- Grains: Rice, Barley, wheat, oatmeal, pasta, etc.
- Vegetable Oil: Cottonseed oil, corn oil, etc.
- High Carb Fruits: Oranges, bananas, pears, apples, etc.
- Starch: Potatoes, Yam, etc.
- Legumes: Beans, lentils, chick peas, etc.
It is important to note that any food item with high carb like the starch can be resumed in mild quantities after the induction stage (phase 1). Also look out for “Hydrogenated processed “ foods and avoid them.
Foods to Eat
It is key to build your Atkins diet around the following foods.
- Fatty Fish and Seafood: Sardines, croaker, salmon, crab, trout, etc.
- Meats: Chicken, pork, beef, bacon, etc.
- Full-Fat Diary: Butter, cream, full-fat yoghurt, etc.
- Low-Carb Vegetables: Spinach, Kale, broccoli, cucumber, cabbage, etc.
- Healthy Fats: Avocado oil, Avocado, coconut oil,
- Nuts and seeds: walnut, grapeseed, macadamia nuts, sunflower seeds, etc.
- Pastured eggs from chicken, turkey, etc.
If you go shopping for food items stick to the organic section of the store, and do less of processed food items. Empty your pantry of food items that are not in line with your diet plan, discipline is key!
A Typical Atkins Food Menu for The Week.
This is a guide to the structure of your food time table, as you loose weight successfully you can make slight adjustments by adding more carb.
- Breakfast: Eggs and vegetables, fried with coconut oil
- Lunch: Chicken sale with olive oil, add nuts if you can
- Dinner: veggies and Steak
- Breakfast: Bacon and eggs
- Lunch: left over chicken alongside veggies from last night
- Dinner: Bunless cheeseburger, with vegetables and butter
- Breakfast: Omelet with veggies, fried in butter
- Lunch: shrimp salad with some olive oil.
- Dinner: Ground-beef stir fry, with veggies.
- Breakfast: Eggs and veggies, fried in coconut oil.
- Lunch: Leftover stir fry from dinner the night before.
- Dinner: Salmon with butter and vegetables.
- Breakfast: Bacon and eggs.
- Lunch: Chicken salad with olive oil and a handful of nuts.
- Dinner: Meatballs with vegetables.
- Breakfast: Omelet with various vegetables, fried in butter.
- Lunch: Leftover meatballs from the night before.
- Dinner: Pork chops with vegetables.
- Breakfast: Bacon and eggs.
- Lunch: Leftover pork chops from the night before.
- Dinner: Grilled chicken wings, with some salsa and veggies.
Benefits of the Atkins diet
We shall succinctly discuss the benefits of the Atkins diet
- It facilitates weight loss.
- It prevents diabetes, and is useful in treating diabetes since it regulates blood sugar levels.
- It has proven to normalize triglyceride and cholesterol levels for most people.
- It can be used to treat PCOS in reproductive ladies.
- In some cases, it reduces dementia and other brain associated disorders through high insulin resistance.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can vegetarians cope with this diet?
A: Yes, they can, but with extra discipline. Simply watch out for foods that are high in carb are eliminated from your meals while following vegetarian Atkins diet.
Q: Can I lighten my menu when I lose weight?
A: Yes, you can, but one of the things the phases of Atkins diet would help you figure is how much carb is good for you, for instance you may start to take high carb food but in minute quantities and inconsistently.
The Atkins diet is perfect and just the right option for you, discipline is required as with other diet plans so be disciplined and explore its numerous benefits.
Printable Atkins Diet Plan (PDF)
|Days||Breakfast||Lunch||Snack||Dinner||Total calories for the day|
|Sunday||Beef huevos rancheros on Canadian bacon Calories:274||Cheddar burger with sautéed mushroom and onions Calories:270||Atkins chocolate slushes Calories:120||Sausage sautéed with red and green bell pepper and cheddar Calories: 137||801|
|Monday||Bell pepper filled with eggs and mozzarella Calories:282||Grilled chicken on mixed green, tomatoes and parmesan Calories:470||Celery with cream cheese Calories:190||Cheese and chilli chops Calories:122||1064|
|Tuesday||Tomato bacon and mozzarella cheese Calories:318||Cauliflower-cheddar mash Calories:179||Cherry tomatoes with ajoli Calories:473||Beef, scallions and red bell pepper sauté Calories:420||1390|
|Wednesday||Cheddar omelet with sautéed onions Calories:509||Tomato onion and cheddar salad with turkey Calories:201||Double chocolate express smoothie Calories:209||Blue cheese and bacon soup Calories:225||1144|
|Thursday||Beef huevos rancheros on Canadian bacon Calories:274||Salad in a jar Calories:150||Atkins chocolate slashes Calories:120||Creamy low carb tushan shrimp Calories:490||1034|
|Friday||Mushroom omelet Calories:348||Low carb fried kale and broccoli salad Calories:86||Cherry tomatoes with ranch dressing Calories:96||Low carb egg plant pizza Calories:38||568|
|Saturday||Tomato, bacon and cheddar Calories:603||Keto caprese omelet Calories:534||Celery with cream cheese Calories:190||Grilled Italian chicken with yellow switch and salad Calories:142||1469|