Are Keto Pills Safe?
The ketogenic diet has recently gained traction and becomes quite popular due to several of its benefits, the most important of which is weight loss.
The main idea behind this diet is to cut out carbohydrates from the diet almost completely, and force the body to gain energy through the fat stored in the body.
However, cutting out carbs or going on a low-carb diet, despite the high reward, is hard.
This has led to the development of keto pills or supplements, which have the same effects as the ketogenic diet without the misery of cutting out carbohydrates.
What are Keto Pills?
Keto pills are a type of supplement or diet pill that promotes ketosis, a state where ketones are high in the body, resulting in the use of fat as the primary energy source.
Ketosis is a natural occurrence during prolonged periods of fasting and when the blood sugar levels decrease.
This physiological response is formed so that the body can start burning fat and not be dependant on starch for energy.
Ingredients of Keto Pills
Keto pills stimulate ketosis as they often are made up of exogenous ketones such as beta-hydroxybutyrate (BHB).
BHB works on increasing the metabolism rate and providing mental clarity and focus. Keto pills can also contain MCT oil, a type of saturated fat that is a keto booster ingredient.
This specific ingredient of keto pills can facilitate the process of ketosis in your body and help your body produce ketones. The result of MCT oil- containing pills is the same as BHB keto pills.
Apart from ketosis-stimulating ingredients or exogenous ketones, keto pills also contain vitamins, omega-3 fatty acids, and electrolytes to correct any imbalances or deficiencies.
Most people on the ketogenic diet do not follow a healthy, well-balanced diet and can suffer from vitamin deficiencies. The most common vitamins found in keto pills are Vitamin B3 and Vitamin B6.
Moreover, the state of ketosis stimulates excess excretion of electrolytes like sodium, magnesium, and potassium.
This can result in electrolyte imbalances, which, when left untreated, become severe, damaging the different organ systems and altering their functioning.
To prevent this, ketone supplements or keto pills are available in the ketone salt form, for example, sodium BHB, potassium BHB, and magnesium BHB. These pills especially focus on treating electrolyte imbalances and promoting ketosis.
Uses and Benefits of Keto Pills
Keto pills have been proven to have several health benefits if consumed with care. The benefits of keto pills are mentioned below:
- Promote fat burning: This helps your body get rid of the stubborn fat that won’t budge with different diet trends and workouts. At the optimal level of ketosis, the body begins to burn fat and use it as a source of energy, which makes you alert and reduces the overall fat content in the body.
- Weight loss: As the ketone pills contain either exogenous ketones or ketosis-stimulating fats, ketosis will be achieved with their use, resulting in weight loss.
- Being alert: Keto diet often results in keto flu, which is characterized by headaches, fatigue, tiredness, and mental fog. Keto pills make you alert and help you stay focused while giving you the benefits of the keto diet.
- Satiety: Keto pills are notoriously known for suppressing appetite, further enhancing the weight loss seen with keto pills. Not just that, these pills also help with unhealthy cravings and binge eating issues.
- Increased stamina: All of the ingredients in the keto pills work together to increase the physical abilities of the users by increasing their stamina and allowing for more extensive workouts or sports activities to be performed.
Side Effects of Keto Pills
Ketosis is known to work wonders on the human body but anything in excess is going to be harmful to the body.
Keto pills increase ketosis so that body fat is utilized, resulting in weight loss. However, excess ketosis has the opposite effect and can reduce and in some instances, inhibit fat burning and breakdown.
If the body is in ketosis due to a ketogenic diet and keto pills are taken to further facilitate ketosis, fat breakdown will be inhibited and no weight loss effect will be seen.
Another important side effect of keto pills is their caloric value.
They are high in calories and do not last throughout the day, requiring multiple doses in one day, and this increased caloric intake results in net weight gain, not loss.
Taking multiple doses of ketone salts, especially, is not recommended because that increases the salt content in the body, which can be detrimental to health.
Starting keto pills consumption with the lowest dose and then gradually increasing the dose is recommended.
Failing to do so can put you at risk of stomach aches, discomfort, and diarrhea, the most common side effects of keto pills.
- Leckey JJ, Ross ML, Quod M, Hawley JA, Burke LM. Ketone Diester Ingestion Impairs Time-Trial Performance in Professional Cyclists. Front Physiol. 2017;8:806. Published 2017 Oct 23. doi:10.3389/fphys.2017.00806 https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29109686/
- Mikkelsen KH, Seifert T, Secher NH, Grøndal T, van Hall G. Systemic, cerebral and skeletal muscle ketone body and energy metabolism during acute hyper-D-β-hydroxybutyratemia in post-absorptive healthy males. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2015;100(2):636-643. doi:10.1210/jc.2014-2608
- Stubbs BJ, Cox PJ, Evans RD, Cyranka M, Clarke K, de Wet H. A Ketone Ester Drink Lowers Human Ghrelin and Appetite. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2018;26(2):269-273. doi:10.1002/oby.22051
Damla Sengul, a seasoned Food Editor at Dietsmealplan.com, boasts a 5-year worth of expertise as a digital editor, with a specific focus on authentic recipe content. Her expertise extends to various crucial aspects of the cookery world, including in-depth research on renowned chefs worldwide and innovative recipe development. Additionally, Damla is an enthusiastic baker who dedicates part of her time crafting delightful celebration cakes for her friends.