1200 Calorie Diet Meal Plan for Diabetics
This article is for general information purposes only and is not intended as medical advice. Please consult your physician before making any significant changes to your diet.
As if weight loss isn’t hard enough, people with diabetes have a more challenging time because there are already limited available items on the menu.
Unfortunately, some diabetics think that they eat safely on a low-calorie diet. They must give up on enjoying foods that taste delicious.
However, that isn’t the case. There are hundreds of tasty recipes that are friendly for both dieters and diabetics.
Below is a menu sample of great-tasting recipes that are easy to make for diabetics on a 1200-calorie diet plan!
200 Calorie Breakfast – Egg White Veggie Omelet and Avocado Toast
To start a reduced-calorie day, you can enjoy refreshing coffee, protein, and a healthy portion of fruits and vegetables. This meal is low in both carbohydrates and sugars. Have one cup or bottle of water as well.
- 1 cup of decaffeinated black coffee
- 1 tbsp Milk, fat-free
- 1 cup Water
- Two egg-whites
- 2 tbsp Onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 strawberries
- 1 slice of Whole-wheat bread
- 3 Avocado slices
Optional: Black pepper to season
Optional: Olive oil
- Chop the onions and peppers. Cook until almost soft. If required, use a small amount of olive oil.
- Add the egg whites and cook through. Season with black pepper if desired.
- Toast the slice of bread and garnish with three slices of avocado. You can use a light nut butter spread if you prefer not to use avocado.
- Serve an egg omelet and toast with strawberries and a cup of coffee. Use fat-free milk as a creamer for your coffee.
100 Calorie Snack – Cinnamon – Peach Smoothie
You can enjoy a nutritious smoothie to help you get to lunch on 1,200 calories a day. The peachy-cinnamon flavor combination safely satisfies your sweet tooth with a southern flair.
- 1 Peach, small
- ¼ cup Buttermilk, low-fat
- 5 tsp Cinnamon, ground
- 3-4 Ice cubes, large
- Cut and puree peach, discarding the pit.
- Add all ingredients but ice cubes to a blender and mix until the blended liquid is smooth.
- Blend in 1 to 2 ice cubes until reaching the desired smoothie consistency.
250 Calorie Lunch – Yum-Yum Salmon and Veggies
Salmon is abundant in healthy omega-3 fatty acids and helps to reduce blood sugar levels. This delicious dish fills for a reduced-calorie diet and offers a popular Asian flavor. Drink two cups of water with your lunch.
- 5 tbsp light mayonnaise
- 5 tsp Splenda
- ½ tsp Rice vinegar
- ¼ tsp Garlic powder
- ¼ tsp Onion, powder
- 5 tsp Paprika
- ¼ tsp Black pepper, ground
- 4 oz Salmon
- 1 cup Baby spinach
- 5 Asparagus spears
Optional: Salt and pepper
Optional: Fresh lemon juice
- Prepare the Yum-Yum sauce by mixing the ingredients and chilling overnight.
- Cook the salmon through from your preferred method. If using a pan or baking, use a small amount of low-fat vegetable cooking spray to help prevent sticking.
- Roast or steam the asparagus spears for approximately 10 minutes or until the desired softness is. For a boost of flavor, season with a pinch of salt and pepper or squeeze roughly half a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice.
- Place the cooked salmon and asparagus on the bed of rinsed baby spinach.
- Spread the Yum-Yum sauce on the salmon. For the best taste, serve the sauce at room temperature.
100 Calorie Snack – Yogurt Dips
For a small snack in a 1,200-calorie diet, you can enjoy tasty bites of fruits and nuts dipped in yogurt.
Blueberries are superfoods for diabetics because they have plentiful nutrients, fiber, and other benefits in dealing with diabetes and losing weight! Don’t forget a cup of water as well.
- 2 tbsp Plain Greek yogurt, non-fat
- 10 Blueberries
- 5 Raspberries
- 5 Almonds
- Dip the nuts and fruit into the yogurt – enjoy!
525 Calorie Dinner – Shrimp Stir-fry
Finally, have a warm bowl of shrimp stir-fry with you to two cups of water for hydration! This dish is filling and packed with wholesome vegetables and is easy for meal planning!
- ½ cup Vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp Hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- ½ tbsp Sesame seeds
- 6 oz Shrimp
- ¼ cups raw Carrots, grated
- ½ cup fresh green beans cut in half
- ½ cups raw Cabbage, cooked and shredded
- ½ cup diced Broccoli
- 1 cup Whole-wheat noodles, cooked
Optional: Corn starch
- Combine sauce ingredients and heat to a boil. Mix a small amount of cornstarch until the sauce reaches the desired thickness.
- Steam the vegetables until soft. Cook and drain the pasta.
- While the vegetables are steaming, cook the shrimp through.
- Mix everything into a bowl and enjoy!
Printable (PDF) 1200 Calorie Diet plan for diabetics
|Breakfast (200 calories)||Egg White Veggie Omelet and Avocado Toast|
|Snack (100 calories)||Cinnamon-Peach Smoothie|
|Lunch( 250 calories)||Yum-Yum Salmon and Veggies|
|Snack(100 calories)||Yogurt Dips|
|Dinner(525 calories)||Shrimp Stir-fry|
|Total calories for the day||1175|