Once you undergo a bariatric surgery, practicing a bariatric meal plan after surgery comes as a pre-requisite. You have to cut down your daily calorie intake while bringing a perfectly balanced diet to your meal platter.
Before you jump on the whole diet plan and related aspects, you must first understand its basic concepts and methodology.
What is a Bariatric meal plan after surgery?
As the name suggests, one has to follow this diet plan after completing the bariatric surgery. Moreover, the diet needs to be full of all the required macronutrients like Proteins, healthy fats, and healthy carbs.
Even though you may find it a bit hard at the first go, things will go easy with every day passing. All you need to do is stay disciplined and determined regarding your food choices. Now, besides consulting with your surgeon or physician, you must check through the below-mentioned guidelines and instructions related to the printable Bariatric meal plan after surgery.
General guidelines for Bariatric meal plan after surgery
- Opt for a balanced diet rich in proteins. Fibers, healthy carbs, and healthy fats
- Go for smaller serving size and meal portions
- Track your daily calorie and nutritional intake
- Eat your food slowly while chewing it properly
- Skip food like meat, raw veggies, fruits that cant be easily chewed and digested
- Avoid any carbonated drinks and beverages as they may cause a bit of discomfort in your digestive tract
- Don’t go for any refined, processed, or packaged food options
- For the first few weeks after the surgery, your daily calorie intake must be between 300 and 600 calories, with a full list of liquid diet on your platter
- After the first month, you can increase your daily calorie intake to 1000 calories while keeping your surgeon or physician in the loop
- Drink as much water as you can between your meals to keep your body and gut hydrated
- Avoid any alcohol or alcoholic beverage as that may severely impact your digestive system after the surgery
Sample Daily Menu for Bariatric meal plan after surgery ( first week)
Breakfast- 1 serving of nonfat Greek yogurt
Snack- 1 serving of low-fat cheese
Lunch- 1 serving of chicken broth
Snack- 1 serving of cream of wheat
Dinner- 1 serving of non-flavored protein shake
Sample Daily Menu for Bariatric meal plan after surgery (From 2nd to 4th week )
Breakfast- 1 serving of hot cereal with low fat skimmed milk
Snack- 1 serving of scrambled egg whites with ½ cup nonfat milk
Lunch- 1 serving of chicken noodle soup
Snack- 1 serving of nonfat Greek yogurt
Dinner- 1 serving of lean ground meat with pureed veggies
Sample Daily Menu for Bariatric meal plan after surgery (From 4th to 8th week )
Breakfast- 1 serving of scrambled egg whites with hot cereal
Snack- 1 serving of nonfat unsweetened yogurt with sliced melons
Lunch- 1 serving of chicken noodle soup with 1 serving of whole wheat crackers
Snack- 1 serving of cottage cheese with fruit juice
Dinner- 1 serving of mashed potatoes with any lean meat or fish
Sample Daily Menu for Bariatric meal plan after surgery (From 2nd to 6th Month )
Breakfast- 1 serving of poached eggs with nonfat skimmed milk
Snack- 1 serving of whey protein shake
Lunch- 1 serving of chicken soup with 1 serving of saltine crackers
Snack- 1 serving of cheese slices with strawberries
Dinner- 1 serving of properly cooked veggies with grilled tilapia
Sample Daily Menu for Bariatric meal plan after surgery (From 6th Month and beyond )
Breakfast- 1 serving of scrambled eggs with spinach and tomatoes
Snack- 1 serving of green smoothie with whey protein
Lunch- 1 serving of chicken coriander lemon soup with small chicken bits
Snack- 1 serving of cabbage and lamb soup with a mixed green salad
Dinner- 1 serving of smoked salmon with mashed potatoes and vegetables
Bottom-line for Bariatric meal plan after surgery
One needs to be really cautious and careful while making their food choices during this Bariatric meal plan after surgery. Hence, consulting with the surgeon and physician before starting ahead is highly recommended. Also, you can change or replace the ingredients of the abovementioned sample daily meal plans while staying on par with the diet’s guidelines.
Additionally, the diet must include all the thick and thin liquid recipes to let your digestive system go easy with its functioning after the surgery.